Designed and Maintained by


My 1971 NYPD Fury story begins in the fall of 1970 when I graduated the New York City Police Department's Police Academy. At about this same time, Plymouth began production of the 1971 Fury. In the next few years, my affinity with older automobiles began to manifest itself as I began to collect the following cars (usually one or two at a time because of financial and storage space constraints): 1940 Chevy sedan, 1930 Model A Ford Tudor sedan, 1913 International High Wheeler, 1953 Willys Aero Falcon Coupe, 1940 Buick Sport Coupe and a 1966 Mustang Convertible. Some 15 years into my police career, I began to get the urge to build a vintage police car but at the same time our family was starting to grow as my 2 sons were born. My main concern was to provide for my family and the idea of the vintage police car had to take a "back seat" - pardon the pun. After retiring from the force I pursued other careers in security and as a corporate chauffeur. In 2012, being fully retired, my search for the old police car began. I decided to focus on a car from either the 1960's or early 1970's mainly because I wanted a stock vehicle that would be both fun and practical to drive on the highway and take to parades and shows. After several months of searching, it became apparent that finding a decent 4 door sedan to start with was going to be difficult. Most 4 door sedans were high mileage cars or were left out in the weather for years as most car collectors do not collect that body style. I was finally able to locate this Fury in Tennessee not far from where it was originally sold in Knoxville. The previous owner took great care of "His Baby" and had won a couple of trophies for originality with the car. After several years of caring for and proudly showing his car, he was ready to part with what appeared to be a 27,000 mile original car. He provided me with the original bill of sale, 3 build sheets that were in the car and a set of original spare keys with the key code tag. Using a U Haul tow dolly, we towed the Fury about 780 miles back to Florida where the transformation to the police car clone would begin. We started with a mostly stock car that had been modified with an aftermarket stereo/speakers and had been changed from a 2 barrel carburetor to a 4 barrel. The 42 year old black vinyl top was flawless but had to be removed in order for the transformation to take place. The Fury III side moldings also had to be removed and after about a month in the paint shop, the virtually rust free car emerged to begin it's new life as a police car clone. In 1971, the Fury III had a rear bumper and tail light configuration that was different from the Fury I and Fury II, so the search began for the correct bumper. After posting on several online Mopar and police car related forums, I was able to purchase the correct bumper from a collector in Massachusetts. Extensive research was done to obtain the proper paint codes and paint breaks for what was going to be a Green, white and black car. The siren was purchased from a collector in Arizona and the roof light was given to me by a fellow retiree here in Florida. The decals for the car were a special order and took about 2 months to obtain. Click on "Build Picures" Button for a chronological list of photos taken during the transformation process!